1. I called around but I couldn’t reach the supplier.
Call + around = call many different people/places
2. I called the company back, but the office was closed.
Call + back = return a phone call
3. We called the meeting off, because one of the colleagues was ill.
Call + off = to cancel something
1. I look forward to seeing you on Monday.
look + forward = to be excited about the future, also friendly ending in a letter
2. We are going to look into our options.
look + into = to investigate
3. Can you look over my work before I send it to my colleagues?
look + over = check/examine something
To work out:
1. Our plan worked out fine.
it +worked out = was successful
2. We have to work out the total cost.
have/need + work (something) out = etwas erarbeiten
1. After calling and emailing him throughout the day, I finally got in touch with John.
get + in touch = to get in contact with someone
2. I’ll get back to you with my answer as soon as possible.
get + back = to respond